Google
 

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Water Offsets

I just love Worldchanging.com. I don’t make it over there as often as I should because there is so much good stuff, I can’t get my work done. But I enjoyed a piece today on water offsets. The concept is that there are (relatively) expensive ways of conserving water in urban settings, while it is fairly inexpensive to install drip irrigation systems (at least in terms of the cost differential between a drip system or a sprinkler/spray system) in rural settings. It is possible to save multiples of the amount saved in the urban setting at a fraction of the price. Just like with carbon trading systems, wouldn’t it make greater sense to invest in saving the rural water?

There is the problem of who keeps/uses/gets credit for the saved water…but on a societal level, the idea makes sense to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home